4.3

In the past, I've ordered from Hot Topic somewhat often (once every few months, sometimes more) and have always had fairly pleasant experiences with my orders.Not once have I gotten the wrong item, and their selection tends to be great.

I also love the collabs they do with films/shows, like American Horror Story and Maleficent. But once when I needed to get a different size for a coat, the refund policy was a nightmare. First thing to be aware of: if you order online and use Paypal, you cannot return the item to a store. Secondly, they have no exchange policy, only a return policy.

You have to return the item for a refund, and then reorder your item in the size you want. Thirdly, the customer service I got was laughable at best. I spoke to three different reps who were fairly helpful, but mostly ignorant - everyone I spoke to gave me a different, contradictory way of handling my 'return'. Also, I could scarcely understand any of them, as they were all thickly accented.

I have no issue with the people who work in overseas call centers, but when your customers can barely understand what they're saying, it's an issue. A second thing I've noticed, and this is a big one, is their recent coupon code policy. If I'm not mistaken, this took hold at the beginning of 2017, undoubtedly as a way to up profits. During all of the purchases I made last year, I could buy items on sale AND use a coupon code if I had one.

Now, you can use your coupon code (say, free shipping on a $30 order, which I just tried using), but it bumps all of the sale items in your cart up to the normal price. So, instead of having a $35 order come down to $30 (after the free shipping), it went up to $58, because you can use coupon codes only on full priced items (which is a laugh when they have a site-wide sale). What?? Another issue I had with a previous order is that there is no option to pay full price if their systems force you to buy an item at the sale price.

I was trying to take advantage of their BOGO Free outerwear special, and one of the items I wanted was randomly on sale (none of the others were, and it wasn't a clearance item, so I was baffled), so it didn't qualify for the BOGO offer. I wanted to pay full price for the coat, but there was no option to do that - as a result, Hot Topic lost out on a $30 profit, because paying full price for the coat would have made them even more money. They need to fix their coupon mess. On principle, I'm less inclined to use their site because it's so frustrating.

I hate shopping for an hour for gifts after seeing a 40% code in my e-mail, getting my relative total after I have everything in my cart, and then realizing I actually would have to pay double that because coupons and anything that isn't full price aren't compatible. Again, on principle, I seldom place orders anymore.

So many websites can use multiple coupons, coupons target highest price item, coupons can be used in conjunction with sales/clearance prices, etc.Hot Topic needs to get on board.

Review about: Hot Topic Customer Care.

Reason of review: Coupon policy.

Preferred solution: I really think Hot Topic should rethink their new(er) coupon policy. I used to enjoy online shopping at their site, but more often than not, I feel frustrated. .

I liked: Product selection.

I didn't like: Coupon policy, Exchange policy.

Had an Experience with Hot Topic?

Comments